top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

At Front Line, we understand that learning how to drive can be intimidating! Here are answers to our most commonly asked questions to hopefully ease your mind...

What will the driving school do for me? 

Front Line Driving School will provide the 36-hour Driver Education program required by the state of Maryland, and will send your certificate to the MVA once you complete the process. We will also prepare you for the Driver Skills Test so that you will be more than READY when the day comes!

What are the enrollment requirements for Driver’s Education?

You have to live in Maryland and be at least 15 years and 9 months old.

Do I need my permit before starting Driver’s Ed?

No, you don’t! We actually suggest taking the classroom portion before you go to the MVA to take the permit test. The 30-hour classroom portion can help you pass the multiple-choice knowledge test to obtain your permit.

How much does Driver’s Ed cost?

The full 36-hour Driver’s Ed course costs $340 and includes 30 hours of virtual classroom instruction and 6 hours of behind-the-wheel practice.

Am I required to take Driver’s Ed in order to get my license?

If you hold a learner’s permit, then the answer is yes. If you have an out-of-country driver’s license or an expired-over-a-year license from the USA, you will not have to take the Driver’s Ed course.

How much does your Alcohol and Drugs class cost?

Our Alcohol and Drugs class costs $70.

Who is required to take the Alcohol and Drugs class?

If you have an out of country driver’s license, you will be required to take this class.

How much does your Driver Improvement Program (DIP) cost?

Our Driver Improvement Program costs $90.

Who is required to take the Driver Improvement Program (DIP)?

You will receive a court order or an order from the MVA if you are required to take this class.

How can I apply for my learner’s permit?

Make an appointment at the MVA and bring the following documents: If you are a minor and a US citizen, you will have to bring your birth certificate, your Social Security card (you have to bring the physical card), two proofs of address, and your parent’s/tutor’s driver’s license or Maryland ID.  If you are not a minor, you will be required to bring your birth certificate or passport, your social security card, and two proofs of address. PLEASE REFER TO THE MVA website for latest requirements. 

How many hours of driving practice do I have to log?

If you are under 25, you have to log 60 hours of practice.

If you are over 25, you have to log 14 hours of practice.

Can I use my own car for my road test or will you provide a car?

You can use your own car, but if you need to rent one, please give us a call, as we provide this service for an additional fee.

I'm taking my road test, but the vehicle I am using only has a temporary registration (pink slip). Can this document be used as proof of registration?

The temporary registration is fine as long as it is not expired. You will also have to bring proof of insurance.

I’m taking my road test. Could my parents or a friend rent a car and could I use it to do my test? 

NO! Rental companies write the name of the authorized driver in the rental contract and in most cases will not add the name of a learner’s permit holder. 

Where can I take my driver’s test?

In any full-service MVA location in the state of Maryland.

Is the MVA Driver Skills Test done on the road or on a driving course?

Currently both. 

What happens if I fail my road test?

Schedule another appointment and go back and pass it! You can go as many times as needed as long as you have a valid learner’s permit or a valid application for out-of-country driver’s license or expired-over-a-year USA driver’s license holders. 

After getting my learner’s permit and completing the 36-hour Driver’s Ed program, how much time do I have to wait before taking my road test?

As far as when, it depends on your age. If you are under 18, you have to hold your learner’s permit for 9 months before you can schedule your Driver Skills Test. If you are 18 and have a high school diploma, you will have to wait 3 months. If you are 19 or over, but under 25, you will have to wait 3 months. If you are over 25, you will only have to wait 45 days.

What documents do I need to have with me at the moment of my Driver Skills Test? 

You will need your learner's permit, rookie driver’s book (filled up and signed on the certification page by someone who has held a driver’s license for at least 3 years and is at least 21 years old), and the registration and insurance for your car. 

I was not given a rookie drivers book. How can I get one?

You can go to the MVA website and download it from there, or you can go to the MVA and ask for one--it’s completely free.

Do I have to pay anything to the MVA when I take my road test?

No! You already paid at the moment you got your learners permit. 

I completed the 30 hours of Driver’s Ed, but I have not completed the 6 behind-the-wheel hours. Can I go ahead and do my Driver Skills Test if I feel ready?

No! The MVA requires you to complete the 36 hours of Driver’s Education prior to taking your road test.

I have a learner’s permit. Can I drive by myself? 

No, according to Maryland law, everyone who has a valid learner's permit needs to drive with someone that is AT LEAST 21 years old and has held their drivers license for more than 3 years. 

bottom of page